health & safety committee
This team meets regularly to discuss and address the health and safety of the school. This includes developing and implementing policies and procedures and working closely with local police and fire departments, all to ensure WCA is compliant and competent in providing a safe and healthy environment for our students and staff.
The Health & Safety Committee:
- Regularly has the Westlake Fire Dept. and Police Dept. in our building for assessments, inspections, and training.
- Performs ongoing evaluations and improvements of our tornado and fire evacuation procedures; performing monthly fire drills, tornado drills (during tornado season), and ALICE training drills.
- Completed a thorough vulnerability assessment of our school with local law enforcement.
- Receives routine inspections by the Cuyahoga County Board of Health to insure the health and safety of our facilities.
- Created a threat assessment team that completed state certification training.
- Upgraded our security cameras throughout the inside and outside of our facilities.
- Partnered with a cybersecurity training company to educate and train WCA staff in cybersecurity with ongoing tests and assessments.
- Utilizes Go Guardian software to protect students from inappropriate online content at school.
- Added a water filtration system to all student water bottle filling stations to ensure clean drinking water.
- Is exploring ways to obtain school zone flashing lights for the school.
- Requires background checks for all staff, coaches, and key volunteers and recently added training for child sex abuse.
- Added an emergency EpiPen safety lock box in the gym for athletic events outside normal school hours.
- Implemented Suicide and Bully Prevention training for staff and students.
- Performs ongoing updates of COVID policies for the school.
Considering WCA for your student?
These three sections will help guide you along our admissions process. Please reach out to our Admissions Director at any time with questions.